NYCYF events provide opportunities for Youth Funders to network, share lessons learned, explore new challenges facing New York City youth, and examine the City’s philanthropic and public response to these issues. The network also creates venues in which local funders can learn from youth programming, research, and policy experts, both locally and nationally. In addition to in-person meetings, NYCYF uses diverse vehicles including webinars, conference calls, LIST-SERVS, and policy briefs to communicate with its constituents.
- This event has passed.
Census Jobs: Mobilizing a Temporary Workforce
February 25, 2019
Time:3:00 pm - 5:00 pm
The 2020 Census Funders Group is an ad hoc group of regional philanthropic leaders working in partnership with national and local nonprofit, government and business leaders – as well as our upstate sister organization New York Funders Alliance and its members. There are about two dozen foundations already associated with this group, but its meetings are open to all who are interested in learning about progress toward a full and fair 2020 Census count.
How Do You Mobilize a Temporary Workforce of Half a Million People in Less Than Two Years?
This question is the theme of the Census Funders Working Group’s first 2019 briefing. In 2010, the Census Bureau recruited, trained and deployed a temporary workforce of over 600,000 people, including everything from office managers to field supervisors to enumerators who reach out to households that didn’t mail back their census form. And the workforce has to be expansive enough to cover every census tract in every community in the country.
After months of preparation, this ambitious and important undertaking is gearing up now for 2020. Census professionals anticipate that this time around will be more challenging. For the 2010 census, we were still digging out of the recession, and census jobs were a lifeline for thousands of out-of-work people. Today’s strong economy will make recruitment for the 2020 Census much harder.
Nonprofits that know how to connect job seekers to the right job opportunities can be helpful. We are pleased to co-sponsor this briefing with the Workforce Funders Group, a coalition of foundations with seventeen years’ experience supporting employment programs.
- How foundations and nonprofits can help the Census Bureau achieve its hiring goals
- How a strong economy can affect the Census Bureau’s recruitment goals
- What types of positions are involved, what skill levels are required, and what the timelines are for different types of positions
- What roles the City and State governments will play in outreach and screening for census jobs
- Likely screens, e.g., citizenship status, background checks, age/education level requirements, and familiarity with technology, among others
- Jeff T. Behler, Director, New York Regional Office of the U.S. Census Bureau
- Amy Peterson, Director, Mayor’s Office of Workforce Development
- Dennis Walcott, CEO and President, Queens Library
- Yancy Rubén Garrido (moderator), Senior Program Officer, The Clark Foundation
- Melinda Mack, Executive Director, NYATEP
Designed for All interested funders
- 2:45 – 3:00 PM Check-in
- 3:00 – 5:00 PM Program
Registration is required by February 24th.
Members: To register yourself and/or a colleague at your organization, please log in and click the Register Now link. (no fee)
Guests of Organizers: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, title, organizational affiliation, business mailing address, and phone number. Please indicate by which organizer you were invited. (no fee)
Non-Member Funders: Please email email@example.com. ($150 fee)
Please note: To ensure fairness among our members, we reserve the right to limit the number of attendees per organization for select professional development programs.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
In Partnership With
- Altman Foundation
- New York City Workforce Funders
- New York Community Trust
- NY Funders Alliance
- NYC Youth Funders
- Philanthropy New York Census 2020 Working Group