NYCYF events provide opportunities for Youth Funders to network, share lessons learned, explore new challenges facing New York City youth, and examine the City’s philanthropic and public response to these issues. The network also creates venues in which local funders can learn from youth programming, research, and policy experts, both locally and nationally. In addition to in-person meetings, NYCYF uses diverse vehicles including webinars, conference calls, LIST-SERVS, and policy briefs to communicate with its constituents.
- This event has passed.
Creating and Seizing the Moment
June 16, 2015
School Discipline and School Safety Reform In New York City
Led by the Donors’ Education Collaborative and co-sponsored by NYC Youth Funders, Just and Fair Schools Fund, and Philanthropy New York
After years of advocacy by young people, parents, educators, and communities, New York City is re-examining its approach to school safety and discipline. This session will explore the following questions: Why is reform needed? How did advocates create the public will for reform? Now that the Mayor has formed a School Climate Leadership Team, what are the current opportunities for change? What lies ahead?
- Kavitha Mediratta, Head, Racial Equity Programmes, The Atlantic Philanthropies
- Shoshi Chowdhury, Coordinator, Dignity in Schools Campaign – NY
- Donna Lieberman, Executive Director, New York Civil Liberties Union
- Vincent Schiraldi, Senior Advisor to the Mayor’s Office of Criminal Justice
- Celeste Douglas-Wheeler, Principal J.H.S. 57 in Brooklyn
- Tala Manassah, Deputy Executive Director, Morningside Center for Teaching Social Responsibility
- Kim Sweet, Executive Director, Advocates for Children of New York
Please RSVP to email@example.com by Friday, June 12, 2015