NYCYF events provide opportunities for Youth Funders to network, share lessons learned, explore new challenges facing New York City youth, and examine the City’s philanthropic and public response to these issues. The network also creates venues in which local funders can learn from youth programming, research, and policy experts, both locally and nationally. In addition to in-person meetings, NYCYF uses diverse vehicles including webinars, conference calls, LIST-SERVS, and policy briefs to communicate with its constituents.
- This event has passed.
Learning to Work
June 19, 2018
Time:8:45 am - 11:00 am
What’s New and Innovative About Summer Employment for Youth
This session will focus on what’s new and innovative in summer employment for youth and summertime Learning to Work initiatives for historically underserved students in NYC.
Two panels will address a growing evidence base that highlights effective models that promote career knowledge, provide training for workplace readiness, and offer paid summer internships for high school students.
Our distinguished panelists will:
- Provide a brief snapshot of the landscape of summer employment opportunities for historically underserved high school students;
- Describe how recent employment models are challenging the status quo;
- Reference how The Future of Work is informing career readiness and access;
- Review how economies of scale in NYC create both opportunity and challenge.
This session will feature promising changes to existing youth employment models that lay a foundation for building transferable skills; create opportunities for experiential work-based learning and mentorship, and that can optimally inform a more deliberate and effective process for mapping career interests that bridge the transition from high school to postsecondary education.
Agenda and Speakers
Welcome: Erickson Blakney, Program Officer, The Pinkerton Foundation
Opening Remarks: Andre White, Associate Commissioner, Youth Workforce Development
- David Fischer – Executive Director, NYC Center for Youth Employment
- Michael Hickey – Director, Strategy and Partnerships, Office of Community Schools, NYC Department of Education
- Patty Machir – Executive Director, Futures and Options
- Robert B. Schwartz – Senior Research Fellow, Harvard Graduate School of Education and Senior Advisor, Jobs for the Future
- Toya Williford (moderator) – Director of Programs and Policy, Mayor’s Fund to Advance New York City
- Maurya Couvares – Chief Executive Officer, ScriptEd
- Tim Lord – Co-Founder and Co-Executive Director, DreamYard
- Katie Beck Sutler – Vice President, Workforce Development, Brooklyn Navy Yard Development Corporation
- Karen Balliett (moderator) – Senior Program Director, Solon E. Summerfield Foundation, Inc
RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.