NYCYF events provide opportunities for Youth Funders to network, share lessons learned, explore new challenges facing New York City youth, and examine the City’s philanthropic and public response to these issues. The network also creates venues in which local funders can learn from youth programming, research, and policy experts, both locally and nationally. In addition to in-person meetings, NYCYF uses diverse vehicles including webinars, conference calls, LIST-SERVS, and policy briefs to communicate with its constituents.
- This event has passed.
Why Advocacy Matters
Time:3:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Protecting And Expanding Access To Needed Youth Services
Sponsored by NYC Youth Funders and Philanthropy New York
This session is focused on the state of youth services at the local, state, and federal levels – with a focus on the role of effective advocacy during times of fiscal and political change; Toward that end, we will:
- Explore current knowledge of the landscape of funding sources from city, state, and federal budgets for in-school and out-of-school time youth sectors;
- Discuss areas of concerns for the various youth populations in New York City, particularly those most vulnerable
- Study the impact of the new federal tax law on funding for youth nonprofits;
- Increase understanding of systemic issues impacting the health and welfare of the field;
- Strategize the need to be pro-active in defining the needs of service providers;
- Develop an approach to philanthropic funding that will sustain and enhance non profit advocacy work.
- Develop strategies and a timeline for philanthropy in advancing advocacy (taking things to scale, ensuring that past investments continue to bear fruit, and identifying emerging needs).
AGENDA AND PANELISTS
Laurie Dien, Vice President – Programs, The Pinkerton Foundation
Douglas Bauer: Moderator of Panel, Executive Director, The Clark Foundation
John Albert, Analyst, Bolton-St.Johns
Jennifer March, Executive Director, Citizens’ Committee for Children
Susan Stamler, Executive Director, United Neighborhood Houses
Michelle Yanche, Vice President for External Affairs, Good Shepherd Services
Carolyn O’Brien, Vice-president and Program Officer, JP Morgan Private Banking
Please RSVP to email@example.com by March 12, 2018