NYCYF events provide opportunities for Youth Funders to network, share lessons learned, explore new challenges facing New York City youth, and examine the City’s philanthropic and public response to these issues. The network also creates venues in which local funders can learn from youth programming, research, and policy experts, both locally and nationally. In addition to in-person meetings, NYCYF uses diverse vehicles including webinars, conference calls, LIST-SERVS, and policy briefs to communicate with its constituents.
- This event has passed.
Youth Leadership Models
June 7, 2016
The Importance of Cultivating Youth Leadership inCommunity Based Programs
Please join us for this important session focusing on the best strategies to cultivate the leadership skills of our middle and high school youth. Leaders from outstanding NYC organizations which employ youth leadership training will address:
- How we can effectively engage and develop young people in such areas as civic engagement and advocacy, education, technology, job skills, and college access and success;
- How young people, especially those from disadvantaged communities, can best learn, demonstrate and teach their peers these skills
- What funders can learn from model leadership programs, and how they can best support these efforts
This will be accomplished through:
- An interactive series of presentations from organizations with exemplary programs;
- Table discussions facilitated by youth/staff teams; and a
- Networking reception with leaders in this field and funders.
Confirmed Speakers include:
- Scott Warren, Co-Founder and Executive Director of Generation Citizen
- Janice Bloom, Co-Director of CARA NYC (College Access: Research and Action
- Lauren Burke, Founder and Executive Director of Atlas DIY
- Parastoo Massoumi, Director of the Middle School Student Success Center at Cypress Hills Local Development Corporation
- With Philanthropic Leaders: Carolyn O’Brien, Program Officer, Private Foundation Services, JP Morgan Private Bank; Florence Wiener, Executive Director, The Catalog for Giving of NYC; Erickson Blakney, Program Officer, The Pinkerton Foundation, and Desiree Vazquez Barlatt, Program Officer, The Teagle Foundation
Please RSVP to email@example.com by June 3, 2016