NYCYF events provide opportunities for Youth Funders to network, share lessons learned, explore new challenges facing New York City youth, and examine the City’s philanthropic and public response to these issues. The network also creates venues in which local funders can learn from youth programming, research, and policy experts, both locally and nationally. In addition to in-person meetings, NYCYF uses diverse vehicles including webinars, conference calls, LIST-SERVS, and policy briefs to communicate with its constituents.
- This event has passed.
Youth Voice: What it is and Why it Matters
October 2, 2019
Time:3:00 pm - 5:00 pm
This session will offer a framework and overview of different types of “youth voice” programs and methods. It will highlight three effective models here in New York to illustrate both the core program elements and the potential impact on young people’s lives and futures.
Panelists will share how participating in authentic youth engagement, advocacy and organizing builds social-emotional competencies that set students individually on a path to success. You will come away understanding the importance of youth voice in informing programs, services and policies on a systemic level.
- The Brotherhood/Sister Sol
- Rockaway Youth Task Force
- Teens Take Charge, a program of the Bell
- Amallia Orman, Student Voice Manager, NYC Department of Education
- Kim Sabo-Flores, Ph.D. Co-Founder, CEO, Algorhythm
The program will include:
- A framing of “youth voice”: definitions and key differences in various models and approaches, an overview of the types of outcomes associated with each.
- Presentations by featured organizations on their background and mission, philosophy and approach to youth voice, a story of an initiative or action, and the impact of the work on individual participants and outside of the organization.
- A panel discussion, including a question and answer period with the audience.
Event Planning Committee:
- Erickson Blakney, Program Officer, The Pinkerton Foundation
- Laurel Dumont, Senior Director, Grantmaking, Solon E Summerfield Foundation
- Danielle Pulliam, Program Officer, The Pinkerton Foundation
- Toya Williford, Executive Director, Mayor’s Fund to Advance New York City
- Claudia Zeldin, Trustee, Zeldin Family Foundation
Speakers and additional information to be announced shortly.
Please RSVP to email@example.com